Odisha is highly vulnerable and an alarming proportion of pollution is increasing due to rapid industrial growth for untapped mineral resource in the state as well as urbanization, deforestation, waste generation in cities, changing life style, ecological diversity etc. Besides, Odisha is susceptible to extreme weather phenomenon like cyclone (i.e. low-pressure system) and associate disaster due to demographic issue (i.e. Bay of Bengal), severe draught and biodiversity loss in Kalahandi, Balangir, Koraput, and other KBK+ districts like Kandhamal. The above given factors not only have adverse impact on short/long term regional climate and associated ecological biodiversity but all can impact the urban life and health. Apart from health, Air pollution and predicted increase of high CO2 and temperature by the end of 2050 has adverse impact on agriculture yield which will directly impact the local as well as national economy. Keeping the wide range of environmental issues in the Odisha and associated scope for further research and higher education, immediate attention from government is required.
In order to support the same, Government (Autonomous) College, Phulbani is one of the oldest government colleges (HEIs) in a tribal dominated area of Kandhamal district of Odisha desperately need a regular B.Sc. (Honours) Environmental Science course which is first of its kind in nearby districts. In a view of the growing demand of the subject Environmental Science for its national and international importance, this is a need of the hour to establish a regular Department of Environmental Science (U.G. Program) in the premises of Government (Auto) College, Phulbani.
Government (Autonomous) College, Phulbani is proposing an U.G. Environmental Science (B.Sc. Honours) course with 32 seats to cater the need of the state of manpower empowerment in research, academic, Environmental Impact Assessment, State Pollution Control Boards, mining industry, agriculture industries, State Biodiversity Board, Environmental consultancies, corporate bodies and Socio-economic sector of the state. This course will accommodate the students of science and engineering of courses like Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Marine science, Geology, Geography, Diploma in civil engineering and related subjects. Graduate students of Environmental Science will intended to carry out study-cum-research activities covering different biodiversity and environmental aspects in the locality like Kandhamal, Nayagarh, Boudh, Rayagada and Ganjam and Gajapati etc. The graduates of Environmental Science provide basic conceptual knowledge, training, consultancy, applied research on the environmental issues pertaining to regulatory bodies, Government Organization and NGOs with an aim towards bringing about change for sustainable development.
Department of Environmental Science envisages imparting and builds up holistic knowledge-based manpower to deal with regional environmental issues in sustainable and environmentally friendly approach.
Develop minds to unravel national and international environmental issues, cater the environmental technology sector with skilled, creative manpower; and extend our activities to service the society through:
- Strategic towards prevention of degradation and conservation of environment through creating public awareness on natural resources management in Odisha state.
- Development of knowledge based strategic plan to mitigate disaster impact towards the management of degraded environment and climate phenomenon like drought, ocean salinity, cyclone, extreme weather phenomenon, air pollution and other elated phenomenon towards crop productivity and health issues.
- Leadership development in regional/global environmental issues through collaboration with stakeholders/research institution/University.
The proposed Department will undertake outreach Programme circumspection environmental issues to climate, health, biodiversity hotspots, urban congregation and displacement, industries and transport, environmental awareness, human resource development, renewable energy, Ambient Air Quality Assessment, Emission of GHGs, waste management, capacity building and research, environmental impact assessment, water resource management and forestation. In order to address above environmental issues, the syllabus will be covered through broader topic like environmental and climate change, pollution monitoring and assessment, earth ecosystem and conservation, advancement of alternating energy, disaster risk and health management, understanding of earth, oceanic and atmospheric science, waste management, application of geo-information, development of environmental outreach and research program, municipal solid waste management etc. The syllabus will cover four core research areas as follows:
- Environment and Climate Change
- Air Quality and Health Impact
- Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation
- Earth, Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences
The outcome will be as follows:
- Human Resource Development for technical and consultancy services for industry and other organizations.
- Provide immediate technical assistance to developed sustainable environments especially focusing on Indian cities and adopting green circular economy.
- Provide technical and consultancy services in all the aspect of ongoing and future environmental issues like Urban Air Quality, Water quality, Health affects due to climate change, adapting to cost effective and environmentally friendly industrial technologies, disaster management etc.
- Provide a call center to attend to complaints and suggestions from the community and individuals regarding matters concerning pollution and environment protection in minimum response time.
- Provide skilled human resources by providing advance technical knowledge along with better understanding of region issues like waste management, land degradation and its linkage with climate change.
Environmental Science Department will cater in the following directions:
- To establish the Department as a premier environmental research, training & consulting institute in Eastern India.
- To conduct research and provide environmental services to Government and Industry.
- To provide solutions to specific environmental problems.
- To create environmental awareness.
- To regularly monitor the state of environment with EIA Programme.
- Courses Offer
- Notice Board
Proposed courses and its intake capacity:
- The syllabus offered in the Environmental Science Department is as per the UGC guideline and Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) has been adopted with a proposed intake capacity of 32 seats.
- Faculties of the Department at a Glance:
Name of Teaching Staff Age Gender Designation Qualification Specialization UG Teaching
Remark Dr Srinivas Acharya
(Head of the Department)
39 M Assistant Professor (stage-I) M.Sc, PhD, NET Environmental Pollution, biodiversity, Ecotoxicology, Ethnobotany 9 years Click here for detail
- Faculties of the Department at a Glance:
Comming Soon ….
Comming Soon ….
Comming Soon ….
The U.G. Course in Environmental Science (B.Sc. (Honours)) Syllabus will cover all the environmental aspects as per UGC/DHE Odisha Model syllabus. The syllabus will be revised as per local needs time to time.